Friday, February 1, 2013

First of February...food, friends, festivals, finding my creative side, and following up on details

One of my Canadian friends wrote asking why I haven't blogged recently..and it made me realize that life is changing for me here. What was once easy to describe as a semi-vacation/life, has become life/semi-retirement as each day gets busier and busier. I feel like my life has taken on a new direction here this year with new purpose for each days activities. Each day involves less of the beach, vacation type diversions that used to be the reason for getting up and planning my "schedule". My days now are more typical of days where I live in my summer time. I've developed a favorite yoga class with friends who count on reconnecting regularly to share personal and town related information and ideas. Then after class, giving thanks for a once again functioning hip, pelvis and spine the days unfold.....


Our recent month of family and visitors here was in total contradiction with the ability to plan and cook home-made meals. So after one month of visitors, we have become once again, home diners, which means regular trips to the mercado, cleaning and preparing fresh vegetables and fruits and ensuring that I have sufficient spices and sauces for various meals.

Food preparation in Mexico is about subtle and creative combinations of flavors to enhance fresh local ingredients. I was reminded of that once again, when I was given the opportunity to attend one of Monica Duran Perez's (my neighbor and friends) cooking classes at The Cooking School at Patio Mexica. Monica was recently awarded high praise by Lonely Planet 2013 and it is a well-deserved recognition for her committment to ensuring each class provides the people attending with the individual attention, learning and fun they come to the class for. But we haven't completely given up on meals out. Wednesdays' have become known as our Chula Vida days. . This slightly upscale beach front restaurant on Playa Blanca has reinstitued it's Sushi Wednesdays. We were lucky to be there recently to try his freshly prepared sashimi and sushi...that and watch for whales, dolphins and enjoy the scene along one of my favorite beaches.


Thursdays are most often Pozole Thursdays, trying out new places but always returning to our favorite Santa Prisca and Juanito Zihua. Rumor has it that Juanito may be heading to Vancouver this summer thanks to the gracious offer of airfare by our neighbours. Casa Ceiba is ground zero for the official fan club of Juanito Zihua...and if he comes, well I will be sure to have him come to the Island where I've already begun thinking about fundraisers for dragonboating, Se Habla Espagnol...and for Juanito and his group.




February is also the month of my Immigration renewal in Mexico. The process has changed this year and I am now on track to become a "permanent resident"...but first, I had new photos taken and am awaiting my 2 year "temporary resident" permit, which will carry me through to the 4 years prerequisite for permanent status. I find myself wondering...what will my future hold? Maybe our children would just as soon visit me in Mexico as Victoria...this will open the doors for me for a life less demanding in the future..and as we all know we must hold doors open and be open to change.                                                                                                                                                                                                                
Annually in February, Sailfest, a fun charitable event which benefits the local charity called PorLosNinos occurs.  These projects assist the poorest of children to complete schooling by rebuilding schools, funding food programs and scholarships.

This year, after encouragement from some of the local organizing committee, I've decided to take Sol Sisters into a higher level of production in order to participate in the Street Fair. We are preparing bags, make up bags, sunglass cases and are open to taking orders to expand. It's involved me exhausting the local supply of Charoplex and in fact, having to take roadtrips to Petatlan to shop for new and not yet used patterns and prints. I'm excited and hopeful that the encouraging praises of my "gringa" friends will mean that sales will take off, or at minimum that Lety's work will not all be in vane. This project has kept her employed through the winter season and my ideas are unfolding about how to make this into a longerterm work for her.

Sailfest had it's roots in sailing yachts from Canada and the US who used to make this party town on their winter cruises. Although the number of yachts has lessened, the charitable donations continue to increase and I love that the whole event benefits locals. I am happy to volunteer and take part in such a great event,...plus I am meeting more of the locals who call this home. Ex-pats who have taken their lifetime of experiences in business, charities, churches and are putting their energy into helping to eradicate poverty here by education, food and opportunities for local women and children. This feels right!

And last, but by no means least, February is the month of our annual getaway to see new places and discover new thrills in Mexico. This year, we are taking our "perrito amigo" Cori...and that has meant making pet-friendly reservations a priority. I was stumped when I seemingly exhausted all possibilities in Valle de Bravo. It is planned to be the last stop on our 2 week roadtrip before returning to Zihua and the beach and ocean. But yesterday, because of some wonderful friends, I was put in touch with the Hotel Tonancalli who have accepted us (sight unseen). Yippee, our roadtrip is planned...now all that's left is loading the GPS with the obscure names of places and addresses, packing us, packing Cori and cleaning out our apartment to make way for our Victoria friends who will move in while we see new areas.







   I have to give them instructions so they know to watch for my new little friend. I haven't named him yet, but each night as we walk through town, he comes to say hello. I know Kristen will recognize him....he's got a heartwarming smile and eyes to melt me....but Cori would never share my love...so it's a brief nightly Hola and then into bed we drop, exhausted and thankful for one more day in Paradise!   Stay tuned as our roadtrip brings us to new areas, new beauty and as always surprises along the roads less travelled.   Ojala....let the journey continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment