Monday, November 21, 2011

Bomberos toma siamesa...and how living without a camera has opened my eyes

As many of  you know, I love writing about my life here in Mexico...but as much as I love writing, I really love sharing the beauty, so without a camera, I've been worried I couldn't feel inspired.  How could I write, without a photo to share.  Maybe this period of time, since the "robo" has allowed me some time to practice using my other senses...like my own eyes, ears and brain.  Like this morning...as I walked Cori over to La Ropa beach, I chose to walk along the winding road called "Escenica la ropa".  It truly is the scenic route but in places it runs behind some of the most luxurious waterfront hotels on La Ropa beach.  It was behind one hotel where I saw the sign "Bomberos Toma Siamesa".  Because I'm still very much a beginner with my Spanish, I like to notice words and how they are used...but this one took me by complete surprise.   We are no where near Siam, I didn't see any Siamese cats nearby, and my only other exposure to the word would relate to conjoined twins...and then it dawned on me....this is the expression that allows any required firefighter (Bombero) to double park in a single parking space. 

I've also been noticing some other things since our home robbery...one of the phenomena that I've increasingly become aware of is that Mexicans mind their own business and talk quietly.   Primarily, I realize this is not what I would've expected in a culture where the majority of people live in the same homes for their entire lives, see their neighbours every day, and live without construction barriers of soundproof windows, closed doors and sealed homes.  Life is lived outdoors, each evening, the streets become alive with the sounds of children playing, families chatting,watching TV and listening to music.  But within this apparent "public life", there are unwritten codes of ethics.  People don't ask you why you are doing something, what you are doing and they certainly don't try in any way to limit what their neighbours do on their private property.   A couple of years ago when we experienced the first days of property clearing with large equipment across the street from our condominiums, we were all really surprised when after asking our building's resident owner and developer what was happening that he said "I don't know"...neither did any of the other longterm residents on our street....This is just not the Canadian way...we see development applications posted for months in advance, we call planning departments and we certainly feel it is quite within our right to ask our neighbours and sometimes even try to stop our neighbours from doing something to their property if we feel it would impact us...not in Mexico!

So, when I chose to tell my longterm neighbour and our colonia's local grand dame "Isabel" about our recent robbery...her voice dropped to a whisper, she looked left and right and quietly signalled for me to step closer while she whispered to me her thoughts on who the culprit(s) might be.  This is a small town, everyone knows everyone and I like that, but is this the very thing that has gotten us in trouble?  Is being a little too "loud", telling people what you are doing or are going to do and basically living life not realizing that we may be being watched allowed us to be victimized?    I remember very clearly the advance travel instructions of my friend Monica who warned me to "talk quietly" in Mexico City where professional robbers, who are alerted to English speakers and target them, lurk quietly in the crowds.  

So as my Mom used to tell me my entire life, "think before you speak" and "be quiet"....I've got to learn how Mexicans have learned to live life in public but without attracting attention. 

 Today my new camera arrives with our neighbours and friends from Vancouver who are arriving for "the season".  This is my 3rd version of the same camera...let's hope 3rd time's a charm.   Gene and I are learning to adapt to one computer but having my own camera again....I feel blessed.  Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment