Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursdays in Guerrero State


Today was a yoga day. I try to attend yoga at Paty's on La Ropa beach at least 3 times/week. Yesterday, Wednesday, I was the only person who turned up to attend Paty's 9 a.m. class. Paty didn't turn me away but instead said "This is great Trish, we can do a class for us". She and I practiced together for one and a half hours and I left feeling like I had been treated to a private class with a massage. So today, Thursday is my usual yoga class, approximately 12 persons attended with Ana as the teacher. The class is a little piece of heaven here on earth and I've just learned that Ana is the Mexican women's surfing champion. Ana is the "product"of an American couple who saw the wisdom of living in Zihuatanejo back in the 70's when it likely was the small fishing village of the Shawshank Redemption utopian dream. She's a well practiced yoga teacher and my morning was bliss.

This afternoon our friends Bob and Iris and Gene and I decided to have a late lunch/early dinner at El Pueblito Restaurant. It is one of a number of local restaurants that serve the state dish of Pozole on Thursdays. In fact, some restaurants exist solely for their once/week Thursday Pozole crowd. Pozole can be made with chicken or pork and is a soup with white corn (hominy) and meat and varying degrees of chile spice...white, green and red in progressive order of heat. We ate to the ballads of the local "troubador" Jose Luis Cabo who sang from his repertoire of Mexican ballads. We were the only non-Mexicans in the restaurant and were surrounded by families and friends who make this a regular Thursday afternoon outing. A three hour lunch, now that's a great way to spend an afternoon.

If we had a provincial food day in BC...what day would we pick and what would it be? Friday night Pizza comes to mind....


1 comment:

  1. You two are amazing and YOU, Trish paint a picture and create emotions with your writing. It's like getting a book delivered to your computer and now I can hardly wait for the next post. Hopefully I'll be in Z this winter too. Can't say enough about the toilet decor!

    ReplyDelete