Sunday, December 2, 2012

Expecting the Unexpected...or how Carlos, the Aztec Stripper from Las Vegas and I became friends

So for those of you who have become readers of my modest attempts at describing life here in Zihuatanejo, I owe you an apology.  I have felt the burden that having decided to write a blog can engender when one becomes too busy with "life" to take time to pause, reflect and write.    But indeed, since mid-November, I've been "preoccupado"...that is, worrying about how I could possibly manage to accomplish what my Victoria friend Dawn and I set out to do.  

When we dreamed up our little project, aptly named "Sol Sisters", we had no idea how it would work.   We knew we had met a wonderful seamstress named Lety who wanted to take on the work, we knew we loved Mexican Oilcloth in it's myriad of colors and designs, and we knew our friends and aquaintances had requested certain products and we had a deadline of Xmas for many of them.   So when 2 of my Victoria friends arrived here on November 21st, my quiet seaside town life changed!  

Lois, a lovely new friend from Victoria was making her first trip to Zihuatanejo.   Lucky for us, she quickly embraced the spirit of this friendly town and decided to make friends of the Mexican people.   After a Thanksgiving dinner, cooked by our wonderful neighbour restaurateur Rufo, Lois was swamped by a rogue wave :) and lost her Maui Jim sunglasses in the sand of Playa la Ropa just offshore.....never did we think we would see them again, but amazingly Javier and his diving friends rescued them and Lois will always remember the little voyage they had on her first boogie boarding attempt in Zihuatanejo. 

Then we headed to the mountain village of Uruapan, the Hass Avocado capital of the world.   Successfully buying Lety her sewing machine parts, and buying the material necessary to create custom one of a kind barbeque covers for Canada, we then headed to the Cafe Trucha along Rio Cupatitzio to enjoy a new beverage treat....an Avocado drink blended with grapefruit and other fruit juices.   It was a taste treat extraordinaire!

Back in Zihua, Dawn and Lois enjoyed an evening with my "Mexican boyfriend" Juanito (boyfriend in the kindest and most innocent of terms) at Coconuts, and a day at Chula Vida after the most heavenly swim at La Barra.   Then sunsets to celebrate Lois's 60th and dinners along the waterfront....each day better than the last!  Did I mention how much fun it is having friends who love our little town.  

And that leads me to Carlos.   My friend Lety, our seamstress for Sol Sisters is planning to attend her nieces quinceanara in La Piedad, Michoacan.  The money she is earning sewing for us is making this possible.   Most of her family will be attending the grand event which coincides with Xmas, and a visit to her hometown to see her mother.   For Lety to speak to her brother in Las Vegas she would need to spend a lot of money using cell phone minutes.  Or she could come to my house and use Skype for free.  So after several failed attempts to reach Carlos, who works by night, sleeps by day,...at last we were in touch.  Carlos, a Mexican immigrant who now holds duel citizen ship in the US and Mexico is a male dance phenom in Las Vegas.   He wears an Aztec wig and has 4 separate costumes that show off his manly physique to all those who have visions of Mexican warriors having their way with them...so when carlos saw photos of our daughters --- his next question is when can he meet them and show them around Las Vegas?  This becomes all the more surprising when one knows that Lety, his favorite sister was a nun in her first life..... oh the journey's that families can take!

So today, my first day without visitors for 10 days, when I headed out to walk Cori on the beach, I encountered one more unexpected view...a fellow was throwing his beautiful cock rooster in the air and the idea of "teaching roosters to fly" came to mind.   Then on the way home, I encountered a couple of Mexican fisherman heading home from a morning catch of the current shore fish "Jurel"...and it reminded me yet again, to expect the unexpected...keep my eyes open and the magic will happen.




Tonight walking home along Paseo de la Boquita....the poinsettia (Noche Buenas) sales people from the state of Michoacan are in full residence until Xmas.  The little village of Pinata makers/sellers is setting up....and the town is taking a little pause, just like me...waiting for the visitors that are about to descend on Zihuatanejo!   

Oh, and I'm also still waiting for my friend Felix the basket salesman to bring in my custom made cushion....but like the town of Zihua..I have faith that the unexpected will happen...and that all will unfold as it should.   

No comments:

Post a Comment