Saturday, January 7, 2012

In conflict about the conflict - and seeing familiar faces

Today is the last day of our son Eric's 3 week visit with us, that also could be called his "kick off training camp"...he has swam, biked and ran everywhere possible around our bay and the nearby beaches and dusty roads.  We are going to miss his presence, and unfortunately so will his sister and her partner who arrive today.  He is trading places with Kristen and Kyle who arrive on the flight he's departing on...so once again we get to show our family and friends around our area. 

Kristen has been in touch regularly as we remember one more thing she can bring us that we can't get here (Almond butter, mousetraps, Magic Erasers....)  She recently sent a message that Kyle's Mom is a bit nervous about his trip, and we understand.  When I read the news, and we do read everything that we can, including our local daily called Despertar de la Costa, crimes against tourists always take high priority.  I felt sick reading that in 2 of our favorite places, Melaque and Huatulco, Canadians have recently been killed.   Every month since arriving here, we've had regular news of robberies here, and some also accompanied by violence with weapons that in the past, we would never have imagined.  Gone is the somewhat less threatening description of "crimes of opportunity" and instead, there is a new reality.  Some Mexicans are so desperate that Canadians, Americans and any one who appears to have more than they do are targetted for armed robberies.  We have heard of local restaurauters who were robbed by armed robbers and shot when they resisted.  Our favorite fish vendor described a fruit stall that had a robber with a gun threaten her until she turned over her cash...times have changed here.   And what is of equal interest is the lack of response or lack of confidence in the police system here.  When we were robbed, it did not even occur to me to call the police.  The police seem to be a toothless group of gun-toting young men in groups who ride around but what do they actually do?  Recently our new aquaintance who lives along Playa Blanca, a peaceful stretch of pristine beach where Canadian and American homes have been targeted, said she felt that the police are "part of the problem"...and that is the reality here...do you trust them or not?  Who knows.

So although I am aware of these "facts"...why do I continue to feel that this is where I want to be....well, it just doesn't feel dangerous here on a daily basis...  People are kind, there is a calm friendliness in every action and interaction.  People just don't seem as stressed as they do at home...children rarely cry, and if they do, their parents do not react, they simply do what they are doing knowing that the crying will end.  You rarely see or hear people talking loudly or seeming unhappy. 

This week is the start of the influx of Canadian and American "regulars"...folks who we've come to know or at least recognize who spend most of their winter here in Mexico.  It also marked the end of the Mexican tourist season here.  Our local press referred to it as "decembrina".  While waiting at the airport for Kristen and Kyle, I couldn't help but notice the frailty and advanced age of many of the persons arriving... but coming they are.  They are happy to be back in a warm and sunny place that is affordable and friendly.  They are quick to dismiss the rising crime rates with quotes like "well I live in Surrey" or "have you ever been to Chicago?"...I find their comparisons reassuring in a way but I also think that it is sad that what is happening here is being compared to some of the highest crime places I know of. 


So we will continue to be happy here, but are ever so much more wise.  Our windows and back patio have new screens with wooden decorative rods that would prohibit a quick entry.  Our wallets are kept in our safe and we rarely leave home with much money in our pockets.  Luckily, I don't have flashy jewellery but my friends who do, don't wear the real stuff out much anymore.  I am becoming smarter about where I carry my purse or my change purse in the busy mercado.  A group of Mexican women recently saw me drop my small change purse into my bag and they shook their heads and indicated it should be tucked into my bra, like they always do.  I have a lot to learn. 

And in follow up, I didn't offend my neighbour and friend, Isabel with our small cash gift this Xmas - she is as always her gracious self.  Now off to get ready for a day with Kristen and Kyle. 

 

Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment