Saturday, March 12, 2011

A week to party...a day to pray and a trip to see old friends

When I'm in Victoria, I find myself telling others about Zihuatanejo, and how I spend my time there each year.  One of the highlights annually is a fundraising event called the Zihuatanejo International Guitarfest, which is a week long music festival hosting a variety of international musicians with varied guitar styles playing in concerts and "bar shows" around town.  So, how could my flamenco dancing, Gaelic music loving Canadian dragonboating friend who was born in Scotland of Polish ancestors not come?  When Irena arrived, I had fun introducing her to our Mexican and ex-pat friends....I watched their reactions as I explained this interesting cultural juxtaposition in this country where the majority of people will live there entire lives within 20 kms. of their birthplace.  Oh Canada...you are a true multicultural country!

The week has been spent combining being "tourists in our own town" and music junkies as we go from gala concerts, beach side dinner shows to curbside dancing outside the packed restaurants and clubs which host the events.   It's almost over and everyone is already talking about how it can be better next year.  It's an amazing accomplishment in this small town and thanks to all the volunteers who have worked so hard to make it happen. 


But yesterday we awoke to the horrible news of the Japan earthquake, we watched and listened on Internet and CNN channels that were playing all over town.  We were told to prepare for a possible tsunami and found all the small beachside cafes empty, schools along lowlying areas were closed and the town seemed to be in a state of suspended animation as the predicted hour arrived and nothing happened.  But approximately 4 p.m. local time, Gene noticed that the water level in the bay receded, water rushed out from the local boat harbor, the Salinas Lagoon and within a few minutes, waves and ocean water flowed back toward the shore...luckily no damage anywhere here, but a day to reflect on how a similar event here or back home in Victoria would be experienced. 



So today, I pack to say farewell to this place I love.  I am heading to Phoenix to meet up with 7 of my school days (think 50 years ago) friends for a 5 day party at Diane's sunny home.  My friends from Canada can't wait to get to the heat and I'm worried that it could be too cold and I have no warm clothes.  We aremeeting to have a little party to celebrate the year of our 60th birthdays.  I'm excited about seeing everyone, but I also know that I'm stepping outside of my comfort zone,  I'm going to a big city with big traffic, big box stores and big price tags...all things that living for 5 months inZihuatanejo does not accustom me to....but to the big city I go.   Party on!!   Gene and Cori and Irena will be here without me to say goodbye to the rest of the musicians at the Sunday night in the zocalo conert and I'll be back with some of the treasures you can only by north of the border...like doggie bags and good quality shampoo.... see you soon back here in Mexico! 

No comments:

Post a Comment