Sunday, January 13, 2013

What a difference a week makes

Just one short week ago, I had a living room that was attractive, but not special. Ever since I had the walls painted a shade of aqua/green to complement some cushions that I had made, I had wondered if the color was right. Not only was the color a departure from my normal warm, earth tones, but the color on the walls had accentuated a bare cornice in the upper corner...it was in my mind almost as soon as the walls received the paint. But with only living here 6 months of the year, and having a busy life..I had lived with the nagging doubt that things could be better...that was until I met Oscar. Oscar and his wife Conchita operate a small gift shop along the waterfront walkway in Zihuatanejo. When Dawn and I were out on one of our many forays looking for all things unique..we spotted his art and were immediately "hooked". Oscar paints a style of indigenous folk art that is often found on the amate paper bark paintings sold in Guerrero State. It is colorful, often displays flowers, trees and birds and I have always loved the way the subjects catch my eye. So when Oscar's wife showed me his "portfolio" of murals..I was immediately hooked. But with the busy Xmas season, we chose to put things on hold till he had the time and I had a break in my company. Eric had no sooner left the room when Oscar arrived to transform my green walls to a soft orange which perfectly set the stage for his stunning mural.
Just like Zihuatanejo, my living room is now a completely different environment than it was just a week ago... A week ago, the beaches, streets and restaurants were full of Mexicans. Now our little town is quiet. It's "gringo time" in Zihuatanejo. But something feels a little different this year. Rather than every tourist appearing very elderly, there is a slightly younger group of visitors. People who love the relaxed life and enjoy all that nature has to offer here. Including our daughter Kristen and her "amigo/novio" Kevin. It's Kevin's first trip here so Kristen is playing a combined role of guide and holiday guest. It's a great way to spend time in Zihuatanejo. And this week, is not like the other weeks of her winter in Vancouver. Sun and heat abound and all stiffness, aches, pains and sniffles from a cold and dreary Vancouver will soon be chased away by the joy we feel here in Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment