Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me and....a happy end to 2010 for one and all

It's already Friday  December 31st and I woke up today thinking 2 thoughts...I can't believe I'm 59,....and I've been neglecting to write about life here. 

First of all, having a birthday immediately following Xmas and on New Year's Eve is a double-edged sword.  When I was a child, I used to finish unwrapping my Xmas presents and then look to Alex, my twin brother, and say...."don't worry -  we have our birthday presents still."  Nowadays, presents aren't a concern, but celebrating occasions with family and friends and enjoying new experiences are what makes my life meaningful.  So today,...I'm up early to get ready for Gene's planned snorkelling trip to the best coral reef around here on our friends boat...a nice gift from Mike and Dee,  and tonight (after a siesta) we are off to Casa Bahia to dance away the night with Jimi Mamou and to watch the fabulous fireworks that happen around Zihua Bay each "Fin del Ano".  I hope Cori will cope with being home alone while we party away.  

So this morning I got up to read my horoscope and feel inspired.... Your dreams cannot be contained by traditional rituals or rational thinking now. You have a free ticket to ride your magic carpet as the Moon visits your 12th House of Spirituality. Make a serious commitment to honor your ambitions and turn them into positive intentions. This kind of resolution can add meaning to your holiday festivities, while enabling you to also keep yourself on solid ground.

Here's some photos of our Xmas day....a Mexican version of a fireplace with stockings at our friends beautiful Casa...Cori under the Xmas Tree with our new original art painted by our neighbour Lily and my Xmas Turkey's....bobble headed "earthquake alarms"  that caught my eye down Calle Adelita.
 
Posted by Picasa
We've been having fun this holiday season.  My friend Caroline and her partner Dalj have been staying at our apartment and they are the kind of people who make our winter here so special.  They are experienced travellers who can see the beauty in everything and are open to the new experiences of a trip to Mexico.  We have been going to a lot of yoga and have had some incredible classes, including a special class taught on Boxing Day by Sara Ivanhoe "one of the 25 Totems of Yoga" according to Paty's flyer.  She was wonderful, and has given me inspiration to keep active in my practise.  

Oh, and if I needed any more motivation to stay active and healthy,  we've been living with our triathlete son Eric for the past 2 1/2 weeks.  He uses his time here to do a major training camp for another season of triathlons ahead.  Each day we've supported, watched, or simply sat by and waited while he's swam, biked and run his routes around every bay, beach and trail in our area.  He is an inspiration for us to set goals for ano nuevo! 
Oh, and the town has come alive.  In my last blog I wrote that we were worried about the lack of tourists...would they come?  The tourists started to arrive on Dec. 24th and the arrival has been building to a state of high density tourism since.  La Ropa, La Madera and Ixtapa beaches are packed with Mexicans who make the most of every moment on the beach...every family is a multigenerational grouping and every day is lived to the fullest.  We are hoping that the businesses will benefit from this much needed injection of tourism and that this marks the start of a 'good year" here for our friends and neighbours .   The town continues to build while the party is happening as you can see in my photos of Sunday night in the Zocalo...we are awaiting the waterpark that seems to be emerging, complete with carved animals and jungle scenes .....what's next in our Disneyland of Mexico??

 Que tenga un prospero ano nuevo a todos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment